Fixin the little things is a page where I can share family and handyman information. Basically, this blog is all about me. Shameless self-promotion: of my family photos, of my services, of my writing, of my future, of my amazing ability to come up with clever ideas on photos of my life experiences . . . And also, a blatant visual aide when it comes to colors, spelling, formating, editing and computer stuff.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fixin' The Little Things

Monday, May 16, 2011

Spring Central A/C Cleaning


Here is an easy tip to check and clean your central air A/C unit to make sure it is ready for the season.
Tools needed:
  1. Multi-tip screw driver
  2. Socket set
  3. 3 inch wide paint brush
  4. Shop vac
This is a photo of a typical A/C unit with one of the grills removed.

The A/C unit located outside your home or condo performs a heat exchange to allow your system to cool your home. If the coils on the unit are clogged with dirt and dust, the unit has to work longer and harder to cool your home.

This is a photo of the coils clogged with dirt and dust.

I use a 3 inch wide paint brush and a shop vac to vacuum the dirt and dust from the cooling coil fins. On some unit, you may have to remove a grill cover while other can be vacuumed without disassembling anything. Care should be taken to not damage or bend the coils while cleaning.

This is a photo of the cleaned coils after the dirt and dust is removed.

Inspect the base of the A/C unit to remove any dirt, leaves or debris from the base inside and outside and under the unit. This debris holds moisture against the metal frame and causes the metal to rust shortening the life and requiring replacement costs.

Be sure to check with your furnace/air conditioner repair service at least every 2 or 3 years to determine if your A/C unit needs servicing.

Bookmark and Share

_________________________________________________

1 comment:

Jen said...

Thanks for the info! Very informative! I'll add it to my "honey-do" list! :)

Page Views